Saturday, August 1, 2009

First harvest



Its that time again.When all the hard work you did in spring begins to pay off.Now its time to enjoy the fruits (or in this case vegetables) of your labour.

Peas,carrots,beans.....Yummy!I could sit and eat fresh peas all day.Unfortunately my stomach probably would have a little something to say about that.
I planted a hybrid corn this year too. It was designed for
our short growing season.Too bad our weather has been so lousy.The heat and sunshine are too little too late.So I doubt that I will get anything from them.Oh well there is always next year.

Fortunately the girls
for the most part stay out of the garden and leave things to grow.I can't say I have the same luck with my raspberries though.If they are even slightly red they are devoured immediately.I never get a chance to have more than one or two at a time.I am also still having quite the challenge with my strawberries.I only have a few, which is understandable because I just planted them this year.But the ones I do get by the time they turn red, the birds have pecked holes in them.Somebody once told me that it is probably because they are thirsty.So maybe if there was a source of water for them.they might leave them alone.(insert a muffled laugh here)

Now don't get me wrong, I love harvesting the fresh fruit and vegetables,however I don't know about, you but I always have t
hat little voice in the back of my mind ever so gently reminding me of the fact that fall is just around the corner......

1 comment:

Two Mittens said...

wow - look at that great harvest already! we'll have to try some peas and carrots next year. YUM.
The kids are eating the cherry tomatoes off the vine faster than they can ripen...
August is so bitter sweet. *sigh*