Thursday, December 16, 2010

Scotch tape

They say that smell is one of the strongest senses when it comes to triggering a memory.In my case I think it is probably true.I have a good memory but it is short.

Today as I was wrapping brightly colored gifts for my sweet, angelic children (*ahem*), I caught a whiff of the tape.
It was like running head first into the "ghost of Christmas past".The smell of Scotch tape reminds me of my Grandpa.
Just in case you were wondering, old people do not smell like Scotch tape! Anyway, now that we have that established,back to the story.

As I was saying, it reminds me of my Grandpa.I remember his present wrapping station that he set up on the big long table in the basement.With his little hand drawn sign that said "No peeking!" I can still picture him sitting there, wrapping each gift with great precision.The corners were sharp, the paper was perfectly lined up and the smell of the tape filled the air.It always amazed me how he could get it just right.No wrinkles or anything.Even the tape was "just so"

Me,I have no patience for wrapping.If the paper is on and stuck together then thats good enough for me! It comes off in 30 seconds or less.So what's the big, deal huh?

I remember sitting beside him and listening to him talk and tell his silly jokes.He let me put the colored ribbons on or let me put my finger on the ribbon to hold it still. Thats just the way he was.Aways had time to listen and to teach and to love his grandkids. I miss you "Foxy".

Isn't it funny how such an inanimate object such as tape can open such a treasure.....

1 comment:

Two Mittens said...

I have vivid memories of his hair. Combing it and playing with it, doing it 'up'. I miss our Foxy too.

I wish he was around to enjoy our kids and play trains with my boys. They would have loved him too.