Monday, May 18, 2009

Dancing to the beat of a different drummer

Motherhood seems to have challenges coming at you from all different directions and with so much "information" out there I find it so difficult to know which way to turn.You see,( I don't think of it as a problem), but it sure is a challenge....My "monkey" is very different in temperament and interests than you would expect from a little girl her age.She is not really a "girly-girl" but neither is she a "tom-boy".She has never really had interest in toys not even when she was a baby.She has some imagination but it is very limited.And I constantly struggle to find things that interest her.She loves puzzles.In fact I just recently upgraded her to 64 piece puzzles to keep her entertained.She completed her first 24 piece puzzle shortly after she turned two.She likes to paint but not so much coloring or crafts. She can hold a pencil or marker with great skill and print letters and numbers following the dotted lines. I have even started printing mazes off of the INTERNET and she has taken quite a liking to them.These are not the very very easy ones either.She does very well at them.

Please do not misread this as a "my child is better than your child".Its just I find this extremely difficult because she is every thing I am not.She is mathematically inclined,logical and loves to do what ever daddy is doing. I am more artistically inclined and I spent most of my childhood pretending and making up stories.Her interests are not mine and vice-versa.When I have conversations with others and I mention the fact that she is great with numbers but she has some difficulty with letters so I feel that she may be a little slower at learning to read, they just look at me with this strange look and say "she's only three!??"As if I am one of those freakish, overbearing mothers who wants her child to be a prodigy and graduate college at the age of ten.This is not my goal at all.My only goal is to try and take her where her interests lead.But there is so much advice out there and everybody has there own opinions about what is the best method .I often wonder am I trying too hard or am I not challenging her enough???

You never think (or at least I never did) you have expectations about who your child should be. But I am learning very quickly that I DO have them and sometimes I feel disappointed.Am I a terrible mom?I sure feel like it because now I tend to gravitate towards my "pumpkin" because she does enjoy toys and dolls and digging in the dirt with me.Its just so easy to slip into what comes naturally.But it is quickly followed by this overwhelming sense of guilt that I am picking favorites.*sigh* I wish my mom was here.I sure could use some motherly advice and perspective right about now.
But if anyone has any brilliant ideas of what I can do to keep her occupied I would love to hear them! (You will have to e-mail them to me because my comment thing is still not working)

2 comments:

Daisy Patch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Two Mittens said...

What an interesting little girl! She's probably just brilliant. I have no experience in this area either (math, science). Have you taken her to the Science Center? Maybe you would find some inspiration there. Or something music related? Planetarium?

I think we all have challenges relating to our kids. It's pretty human to gravitate to what we are familiar with and enjoy. We want to share those things. It can be tough to figure out a little person who is so different. Don't feel guilty!

p.s. let's get our kids together...they can entertain each other!