Saturday, January 3, 2009



Well, the time has come at last to take down the Christmas tree and decorations and put them into storage yet again.I always feel a little bit sad when this time comes yet at the same time I am happy to have the space back.After all the new toys have to go somewhere!It also gives me an excuse to give everything a thorough cleaning while I'm at it.I always enjoy taking the ornaments out of the box.Its kind of like a treasure hunt.Spending time to reminisce of when and where they came from.I have a small collection of ornaments that used to hang on my Grandma's tree.They are little toy soldiers and every time I see them I am reminded of the hours I spent playing make belief with them and moving them ever so carefully around the tree.I also like to collect them.I am kind of an ornament nerd and can't pass the "Christmas store" in Banff with out coming home with a few small treasures.I also have two trees.One for my special(aka breakable) ornaments.This tree is pink,gold and white.Then there is the family tree which consists of mostly plastic or acrylic ornaments but it is still classy.This one is various shades of purple and white.This year my favorite ornaments where the ones that my little girl and I made.They were salt dough ornaments that we cut into shapes of stars and then she painted them and put sparkles on them.It has come full circle.I remember making ornaments for our tree when I was little and my mom proudly displayed them on our tree.(ugly or not).Even to this day most of them are still around and have a story to go with them.Now the girls will be able to add their creations to the tree so we have special memories too.So goodbye for now Christmas, I will eagerly await your return....

1 comment:

Two Mittens said...

I'm not usually in a rush to take everything down either. January is a little bleak without colored lights and all. So then I start to think about our February birthdays (Valentines Day). Which is a bit early, but it's fun.